Thursday, January 17, 2013

Save the lashing with a wet noodle. I learned my lesson.

I will have a different relationship with Q-Tips from now on.

Do you remember the incident that I mentioned where I tried to tickle my brain with a Q-Tip?  Well, the last few days have left me with big ear pain.  You know the kind.  The pain that wakes you from a dead sleep in the middle of the night?

Yup.

Since the Q-Tip incident was on New Year's, I thought I was in the clear.

Apparently not.

I've been dragging on with the remnants of what everyone else has, had some chest congestion, pain to go with that, and a hurting ear.  I thought that the ear was sinus drainage.  I went to see Dr. W this morning, he checked out the breathing and all that.  My lungs sound great!  My left ear looks fantastic!  My right ear drum looks great!

This is where there should be a "but."

"But, you've irritated the CRAP out of your ear canal!"  You know where this is going. "Don't put Q-Tips in your ear again!  It is going to cause real damage someday."

"But what do I do if my ears feel squishy?"

"50/50 white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.  A couple of drops.  That'll take you where you need to go."

I didn't mention that I had swabbed dried blood from my ear canal this morning.  My guess is that he could see that.

I have ear drops.  Prescription kind.  With antibiotics AND steroids for good fun.

I have to say good bye to Q-Tips and how they made my ears feel soooo good, because right now, my ear doesn't feel real good at all.

Lesson learned.  No more Q-Tips.  They are like an addiction, though.  I'm probably going to be the first member of Q-Tips Anonymous.

"Hi, my name is Amy and I haven't used a Q-Tip for ___ hours."

I love my Q-Tips.  :(  Crafting projects.  Eyeliner clean-up.  I've gotcha.

So sad.  So glad that I can hear, didn't puncture my ear drum and it is fixable.  There are those not quite as lucky.

ETA:  I have bought baby Q-Tips.  Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.  I told Rachael that I am almost in need of Q-Tip detox.  I told her that I've created a monster and should probably take K- to Q-Tip detox, too.  Good news to share is that one dose of the ear drops have taken the pain away!  I am actually going to sleep tonight without waking with stabbing ear pain!

I know, I did it to myself.  :S

No comments: