I love these shoes.
I paid $100.00 for these shoes.
I pulled them out of the washer, noticed the discoloration and hoped for good things that it would fade.
I went ahead and pulled my trusty shoe box back out. I bought them from Onlineshoes.com and I knew that they advertised a 365 day guarantee. That's why I purchased them through them, because I was stupid and didn't read their guarantee. Yes, they do have a 365 day guarantee for NEW shoes. Really?
When I pulled out said box and looked at the little booklet that came with the shoes-- the same booklet that shows people jumping, running and playing-- on the very back page it states about washing instructions and that involves not laundering the leather shoes.
Gee, I wished that there was something printed in my shoes about that.
I e-mailed Merrell. Here was my bit:
I purchased a pair of Wonder Gloves in Aluminum 2 months ago. I dearly love these shoes. I noticed that they had gotten some surface dirt on them and laundered them in cold water, light soap and with a few sheets to buffer the washer. The one shoe looks like something has started to work out of the leather somehow. Frankly, they look ruined and I am beyond broken hearted. Other than suede, I've always laundered shoes lightly because, as my husband asked, who doesn't launder shoes? Shoes get wet and while these didn't get tremendously wet during my wear of them for the last few months, I was shocked and mortified that they did this. I paid $100. for the shoes and purchased them to wear because I had broken my foot in early fall and found that traditional shoes were making my foot ache. These did not at all. I have the box, order slip and packing materials. I even blogged about my love for these shoes (http://baileysleaf.blogspot.com/2012/05/unsolicited-review-merrell-wonder-glove.html). What can you do to help me?
This email has been delivered to the
service staff of MERRELL.COM
Their response was:
Because the Wonder Glove is a full grain leather, we would not recommend putting them in the washing machine. The ONLY styles we would suggest putting in the washing machine are the Barefoot styles that do not have leather in the construction. All of our other shoes are not to be put in the washing machine, but only hand washed.
I am sorry to hear that the washing machine ruined your shoes, and we would like to offer you a special accommodation so you can replace those. I do have a promotional code that is good for a 20% discount plus free shipping. This code would be valid on your next purchase at http://www.merrell.com/. Please let me know if you would like this special offer.
Thanks for your inquiry,
Consumer Relations Account Specialist
Consumer Relations Account Specialist
Because I was more than delighted (sarcasm) with his response, I sent this:
There was nothing on the inside of the shoe that gave me any clear indication that they shouldn't be laundered gently in the washer. This is so frustrating. I take impeccable care of things that I own and had I have known (there is nothing that I have encountered that says hand wash only) and I appear to have burned $100.00 on a pair of shoes that look like complete crap. I paid (willingly) full price as they seemed to be the answer to all of my questions. Lovely. They are shoes I bought to wear to work and now can now longer wear them there.
Fantastic. I'll be sure to follow my glowing review up with a caution not to laundering the barefoot shoes. I'll make sure to post a photo so that they know what they'll be left to wear. A shoe company selling shoes for exercise might want to consider using materials that will withstand an occasional laundering since the general reason people buy them is to wear for outdoor sports. Unlaundered gym shoes? Yuck. Hand washing? I'm thinking that they would need a bit deeper clean, but that's what got me into this problem to begin with.
Gee, and can you believe that he didn't comment back? I'll give my amended review:
1. The shoes truly do fit wonderfully and are very comfortable. They don't slip or slide, rub weird or give me any issues with my previously broken foot.
2. My feet do get hot in them. My feet can actually sweat in them. I do not normally have this issue and it was brought up in the comments when I read them before buying. I would suggest giving a few breather holes. After all, sweaty feet in shoes (though the treatment that they give them does keep them from smelling) still makes you want to launder them. Sweaty feet and glove-like fit of shoes = the want to launder all that was locked in. Call me crazy.
3. Stamp on the shoe on the inside IN ENGLISH "hand wash only." There are tiny symbols in there but for the love of Pete, those who only know what those mean are probably people in the industry.
4. The sole, even after wearing them nearly exclusively for two months, shows very little wear. Vibram is a good thing.
I have chosen not to replace my newish shoes with another pair. It's not that I wouldn't love them, but when people ask, "What happened to your shoes?" I can tell them. I laundered them gently in the washer. I mean, it was lovely for Merrell to offer a discount and all, but it was hard enough for me to part with the $100.00. A discounted pair would be $80.00. Thanks, but, I'll just have to embarrassingly wear my discolored ones.
Smiles in my day:
- This is Dash, the baby bunny who lives in the backyard. He gave out an all call to other rabbits. I now find large bunnies lounging in the very same way. As far as Dash is concerned, he knows us and as I was cruising around yesterday, realized he was about 2 feet away. I pulled out my camera and took some photos. How could I resist? The dash of white on his noggin? That's why he's called Dash. ;)
- Rachael came through surgery well and J, K-'s sister, does not need surgery to reattach the sliver of bone to her hip. Hooray!
- We hit a lovely sale at Old Navy the other day and got K- some clothes for next summer.
Obviously, I was not paid for my review of these shoes. Other than the offer of a 20% discount and free shipping (which I did not take), I received nothing for my honest opinion.