Friday, April 15, 2011

Hello 104.

K- has been battling a bit of a thing this week.  She missed Tuesday, which we dismissed as major allergy drainage making her feel like gum stuck on the bottom of a shoe.  Her system seemed to have cleared that which ailed her, so she went to school on Wednesday.  She had a great day, did what she needed to do, MIL picked her up and reported that all was well. 

Then I got a 4:30 PM call.  MIL reported that K- didn't eat dinner, felt warm and was rolled up in a blanket on the couch.  Argh.

Hubs picked her up, took her home and she clocked in at a lovely 101. 

I got home probably 45 minutes after they did and up popped 102.5 for me.  Fantastic.  Advil was administered, the fever completely broke, all was well.

I got up and checked on her a bit during the night.  At 3, she rolled out 101.5, but I opted not to wake her for Advil since she tends to run higher temperatures anyhow.  Our Advil/Tylenol threshold is 102.  We've had too many years of experience.  Her waking temp was 102.5, so I gave her Advil, left her home with Hubs who went in late today, then shuttled off to her school at 7:45 AM to take care of my volunteer obligations.  I checked in on her when I got home and she was rolling about 100, so it seemed all was stable.  She fell asleep and napped for a good while.  When she woke up, she went to the bathroom and I could almost see flames rising from her limbs.  That's when the she clocked in at a nice and toasty 104.  I called her pediatrician.  Though they had nothing left for today (I called at 1:30 PM), she'll be seeing her tomorrow at 11 AM. 

In the meantime, my MIL nearly had a panic attack.  The 104 scared her to death and it caused me concern.  104 is the point that I take a deep breath, back away slowly and go seek some medical intervention.  We were at 104 for the week that she had chicken pox (from the varicella vaccine), the week that she had Roseola (from library group) and in that week that she had that weird "non-specific virus" that made her body break out into a rash.  (Okay, on that one I believe that we rocked 103.8, but close enough.)  We've seen 104.  We've dealt with 104.  We have an action plan, but it doesn't mean that I like to have to go there. 

Y'all, this isn't her allergies. 

So, I'll be utilizing the bladder alarm system this evening.  You know the one.  The one where you are too tired to wake for a check-on-the-kid alarm, but you'll certainly wake to pee?  I'll be drinking full glasses of water and keeping the ear scan thermometer nice and handy. 

It should be a long night.

Toss us a prayer if you can, please.


Smiles in my day:
-  Hubs covering me so that I could get some time sensitive volunteering done for the PTA moms to cover my responsibility for tomorrow.
-  K-'s fever continuing to break after Advil.  That is a very good thing.
-  The neighbor sending me over with cans of pop for K-, then coming over with brownie bites that he had baked for her.  Mr. D- and Mr. G- just love her. 
-  My flamingly hot kid being concerned about school work and getting it all complete within an hour of it hitting the doorstep. 
-  Her understanding and accommodating teacher being willing to gather up materials for her daily to keep her on track, and a neighbor who is happy to retrieve it.  Today, the PTA President came by for the membership materials I had put together and traded me with K-'s homework.  It takes a village, I tell you.
-  I can't wait for this to arrive.  It was out of stock, then back in stock briefly yesterday and now back out of stock.  I'm so glad that I was able to order it and can't wait for Hubs to get it installed when it arrives.  :)!!!

Perhaps, I'll be able to sleep tomorrow night. 

Have a great day!

Besides chasing a fever, this was what I was chasing by computer at 7:45 PM:


Rach said...

Still sending up those prayers and healing vibes.

Hang in there.


ChupieandJ'smama said...

Oh boy, hope she's feeling better!! Hang in there.