Monday, September 21, 2009
Menu Plan Monday
Monday- Macaroni Monday
Tuesday & Wednesday- Ham and bean soup in the crockpot
Thursday & Friday- Chicken Pot Pie (Thanks GEagle for having lowered prices on their whole chickens to below what the sale price was last week on the chicken that I didn't score.)
Saturday- Chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes with sides (made from reserved chicken from CPP.)
Sunday- Braised pork chops in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots and whole grain rice.
So last week I did not get to follow my menu plan at all. Between Hubs having to work a few nights that I didn't anticipate, K- falling ill, the grocery being out of sale chickens and whatnot, I adjusted. However, I cooked each night and the menu forced me to consider the foods that I had accumulated and I took it from there. Here's how the switch worked out:
Monday- Leftover chicken and vegetables from Sunday night instead of macaroni and cheese. No need to waste.
Tuesday & Wednesday- Kielbasa, Alfredo noodles and creamed corn. (I know, starched to death.) This was instead of Kielbasa Soup.
Thursday- Macaroni and Cheese instead of Chicken Pot Pie, as the grocery was out of whole on-sale chickens and I hadn't the time to return yet.
Friday- Since no CPPie and K- was feeling ill (though she made it the whole day), Hubs brought me home a cheap Totino's pizza.
Saturday & Sunday- Spaghetti and turkey meatballs.
Smiles in my weekend:
- K- seems to be cured of her stomachache/sore throat/low grade fever/constipa*tion funk. She and I stayed in all weekend to clear her of her uck and I think that is just what she needed.
- She had me read Uncle Wiggily to her for 45 minutes, as she laid on the floor coloring in her coloring book.
- K- outside making mud pies and burying her feet "in the soil." Bless her heart.
- I successfully cut K-'s hair today and she looks neither like a Yoder (bangs three inches above the eyebrows), nor does she look like Mommy did a whack and hack job to her hair. My last hair cut job was notasogood. Even my MIL informed me that the back was a little crooked. I work for free. Most of the time the cut is pretty good, but sometimes, well, you get what you pay for. But, pictures are at the end of this week and I really wanted to send her off looking decent, y'know?
- K- requesting to watch Mrs. Doubtfire, again. Of course, she refers to it as the "Movie where her bre*asts catch on fire, Mommy." [insert kettle lid fire snuffing hand motions here]
- Because of being locked in, somewhat like a sequestered juror, I found myself itching for a zipadeedodah when the Hubs arrived home. I prepared dinner for K-, had dinner cooking for him and busted the heck out. She hugged me and told me to "go to as many stores as you like." I hit Kohl's, Target and Walmart. I only bought things in Target, as Kohl's was too expensive and Walmart was, well, Walmart about everything. I had a mission. I found an outfit for K- for her school pictures on Friday. She really is a legging kind of kid, so I found multi-color dot leggings (technically Halloween, but they don't look like it) and a cool, long/long sleeved shirt that goes with. Lovely! A bonus? It didn't cost a fortune!
- Oh, and I watched movies this weekend, too. K- was on a Christmas kick, so we watched Elf and A Christmas Story. We also watched Running on Empty and I'm embarrassed to admit that I allowed her to watch the TV version of Dirty Dancing (I still censored for her above what they did.) I knew that she would love the dancing, but I forgot how that might look to a 5 year old. (It's been a while.) I also forgot about some questionable scenes that I suppose I figured that they would edit out. I flipped the channel several times to "bleep out" a few scenes. What did she take from it? Ken was holding Barbie in a beautiful lift today. Apparently, no harm done. [thunks to the forehead]
Have a great day!
Edited to add:
The red phone rang at 4:00 AM with stomach cramps, followed by a vomiting session while Daddy was on duty. Mommy? I was out trying to find a 24 hour pharmacy that sold pediatric suppos*itories (as suggested by the 24 hour children's hospital nurse that I spoke with at 4:15 AM,) which as it turned out was Walmart about 15 minutes down the road. Nevermind the Drug Mart, Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid that I passed along the way. It resurged, my friends. Argh.
Edited to add #2:
K- will be going to the doctor today at 2:20 PM. They'll give her the once over. I feel dumb, but if it is consti*pation, everything that I can think of hasn't worked. (We held on the supposi*tory due to vomit.) To the nurse, it sounds like a dose of constipa*tion and stomach virus. Ewww. Wish Hubs well. He has chosen to go on the adventure with K- himself. He had me make notes. It is hard for me not to go, but he is capable and a very involved dad. Still, I'm Mommy and the ears and all. He does take such good care of K- though.