Saturday, February 21, 2015

Not the Apple Cinnamon Cream of Wheat from my youth.

I have a love of the packaged Apple Cinnamon Cream of Wheat from my youth.  It was and still is my very favorite.

I haven't been able to find it.  Not just recently.  I haven't been able to find it in years.  

Last week, we were in Amish Country.  I found a giant bag of plain Cream of Wheat.  "I can try to make it myself!"  I got to work.

I was on the hunt for dried apples.  I couldn't find those, either.  I did find freeze dried apples on the Target clearance rack yesterday.  It's kind of what I wanted anyhow.  I didn't want the squishy dried ones.  

I individually bagged 15 servings.  (I made a total of 16 servings, but had to test drive one.)

It doesn't look like the Cream of Wheat of my youth.  It's a bit more cinnamony than what I had, too.  It is still good.  

Amy's Fake Out Apple Cinnamon Cream of Wheat

1/4 cup plain cream of wheat
1 T raw sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 slices freeze dried apple, chopped

Dump your ingredients in a snack bag.  You'll have to figure out how much water you like.  I'm not for watery cream of wheat.  Boil your water and have at it.  

Enjoy!  

1 comment:

cmmatthews said...

I've been missing my Apples & Cinnamon Cream of Wheat for a long time. At one point on the Cream of Wheat website, you could vote for the next flavor, and that was one of the choices. Not sure what happened.

Anyways, as fa as the flavoring goes, I made Moroccan Carrot Soup one day and found the flavoring to be VERY similar to the Apples and Cinnamon Cream of Wheat. Try adding some Cumin and Coriander to what you already have and lower the cinnamon level.