Sunday, January 5, 2014

They act like the final days are coming.

Y'all, it's snow.

Y'all, it'll be cold.

We'll survive.

I don't know that the coverage is exclusive to our area but geeze o' Pete, we live in a northern climate.  We get snow and cold on a regular basis during the winter months.  It should be of no surprise.

Okay, I get it.  It's supposed to be below zero.  When Hubs and I started dating, it was -25 F with a windchill that took it to -50 F.  Everything, and I mean everything, closed around here except for Kent State.  I remember leaving myself enough time to building hop on my way to class.  KSU was on a delay start.  They started classes at noon.  I remember laughing because apparently Carol Cartwright thought that there was going to be a heat wave precisely at noon.

There wasn't one.

I decided to park at one of the parking meters.  I had to take my glove off to get the money into the meter and I kid you not when I tell you that my hand froze in a curved position.

As an art major, that did concern me.

My car, a 1985 Trans Am with leaky t-tops was the only car in the driveway that would start.  Getting it out of the driveway that was on a hill and adjoining in a way to the neighbor's drive with a telephone pole separating the drives at the bottom.  Most of the time in the winter, I was the last in and the first out, so I would just leave it parked at the bottom of the driveway.  I do recall getting it to the top during the freeze and freaking my mom out because my dad taught me to spin the back end around in order to be able to back up, but to miss all of the cars parked in the driveway.  I think she had a near heart attack every time I did it.

At any rate, I recall the snow freezing so deeply that you could stand on top of a foot or two of snow and not fall through.

Current snow estimates have varied quite a bit.  Temperatures have varied quite a bit.  Hubs' response to the news was, "It's just snow."  That it is.

K might not have work for a few days, but my work will be up and functioning.  Hubs might have work on Tuesday, but who knows?  We might have an extended holiday break.

Who knows?  It's just snow and some cold.  It's nothing that should shock the northern half of the United States.

ETA:  School was canceled for tomorrow at about 3 PM.  My cousin phoned and her daughter's school is called off for Monday and Tuesday.  She only lives 15 minutes south of us.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I suppose in the day and age of sensational 24 hours cycles, they have to roll with what they have.

Is there concern for the homeless population and those without electricity? Well, they don't have TVs to see these reports, and believe me, they KNOW it's cold and snow.

Advanced warning?

Who knows.

Cold and snow.

Yup.