Friday, July 19, 2013

God giveth a heat advisory.

We're officially in a heat wave here in Northeast Ohio.  A heat wave for us is 3 consecutive days of 90+F.  Yesterday, my thermometer was reading 97.3 F.  I'm thinking it's just slightly toasty.

I have the house buttoned up and all of the shades down.  Thanks to no trees (not by choice), our house can get a hair toasty.  We have the air on at 76 and it seems to be keeping up just fine.

I decided to make some homemade weed killer because nothing says, "Let's kill some weeds" like a good mixture of organic weed killer and blazing sunshine.  I'm happy to say that my mixture coupled with the help of the big hot ball in the sky has killed the driveway weeds.

I'm embarrassed to say that they were kind of getting out of control.  All that rain we had before fed them like no tomorrow.

I also decided that this would be a most excellent time to wash the bed quilts.  Okay, so the humidity has been high and it has taken longer to dry t hem than what I thought it would be, but after running K's quilt through the laundry twice (thanks to some scab picking resulting in several spots of dried blood and some odd art supply that seemed to have blued the quilt,) they are both clean and the beds are re-sheeted and quarter-bouncing flat once again.  I did K's yesterday and ours today.  Our laundry line run isn't that large, so it maxes out at one per day.  No problem!  Since we have rains and storms coming for tomorrow, all of the laundry has been cleaned and is hanging.  I've found the bottom of my laundry bucket.  Shh.  Don't tell my people.  They're both at science camp today.  They'll find out soon enough.

I will not complain about the heat.  I will embrace it and use it!

Have a great day!

** Though I've posted it before, the weed killer is - 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epsom salts and 1/4 cup soap.  (I use Murphy's.)  I pour all of this into my pump sprayer and go to town.  Spray early on a hot, sunny day when you expect no rain for at least 8 hours.  It will kill the weeds, but you'll have to pull the deadness out.  It is not Round Up.  You will need to keep up on spraying every few weeks, but at least the critters at your house won't be Round Up Ready!

No comments: