Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tales from the Trenches: Remembering to count all of the B.L.T's.

I've never been a calorie counter, but as I said a few posts ago, my metabolism has gone south and the needle on the scale is going in the opposite direction.  I've decided to utilize the My Fitness Pal App.  I didn't do this to be a militant, crazed calorie counter.  I did this to figure something out.  I needed to see if there was more going into my mouth than what I thought.

There was.

My friend Laurie told me that she found that she needed to count every "Bite, lick and taste."  Goodness knows that when I'm cooking, I've probably tasted a serving size just in checking spice and doneness.

I've been watching very close this week.  I've been doing this to see a pattern, to see really what unlabeled foods "cost" calorie-wise and to get that freakin' needle moving in the correct direction.

I'm happy to say that I've moved down about 3 1/2 pounds in the last two weeks of really watching.

I'm sad to say that I've discovered that our 50 minute "brisk" walk each evening is all of 172 calories burned.

:snicker of the upper lip:

I would have liked so much more.

The last two days, I've managed to be under my caloric goal of 1700.  Today it was about 1250.  Yesterday I was probably at about 1400.

I'm not going to starve myself.  I'm also not going to beat myself up over days like Saturday when I was 300 calories over the goal for the day.

Any little bit that can help is a good thing.  I'm trying.

My sister and I were talking today.  I told her that I don't want to be like Aunt Donna.  When she stopped breathing on me, she was face down on the floor.  She was 273 pounds and 5'2".  When I phoned 911 and updated them on the change in her condition, the operator wanted me to flip Aunt Donna over.  I could not do it.  I could not flip her over to perform CPR, but that wouldn't have made a difference in her case anyhow.  (I feel no regret.  Don't worry.  I know that I did everything for her that I could.)  I don't want to be that person that someone can't flip over to try to perform a life saving procedure.  They also had to call the fire department to help them to pick her up because she was so big.

I don't want to be that.

I won't be that.

So on I travel to try to be the weight that I have listed on my driver's license.  Wish me luck!

Have a great night!

1 comment:

Rach said...

I use Calorie Count and try to keep myself to a 500 calorie deficit per day. Yes, it's utterly annoying to put in all the foods I eat, but the flip side is, I won't eat something piddly like a snack because I don't want to have to take the time to log it. :oP

I've had great success that way. It's painful and arduous, but I too don't want to be the Aunt Donna...

Keep up the good work! 3.5 pounds in two weeks is awesome! BTW, the closer you are to a healthy goal weight, the more your body is going to resist and the longer it's gonna take to come off. So, for example, behemoth me will lose a ton of weight more quickly in the beginning because I have a LOT more to lose, but as I near my goal weight it will become harder to get it to drop off.