Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Pinterest Recipe strikes back.

I decided to make the Cinnamon Quinoa Bake.  K was home sick with strep and I had the ingredients on hand.  I read over the recipe, measured out my 2 1/2 cups of quinoa, toasted it then cooked it up.  It was cold and snowing, so I put a TV tray up outside the back door, plunked a trivet down and cooled the quinoa outside.  I mean, why not take advantage of God's cooler?  After we got back from the pediatrician, I went ahead and got to mixing.  It looked like more than would fit in an 8 x 8 pan, so I bumped it up to an 11 x 7 pan.  I even texted Rachael and said about how it barely fit in that.  It still didn't kick in what could be wrong.  I can tell you that I texted that I doubled the spices because it just didn't smell like enough.

I can now tell you why.

While the Cinnamon Quinoa Bake was baking, I went back to re-read the recipe and the comments.  Crud.  Other people did it, too.  It called for 2 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled.  I read it as 2 1/2 cups of quinoa, cooked and cooled.  What I should have gathered was 2 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa.  In other words, I and others out there didn't realize that it was 2 1/2 cups total to be used since there was no dry ingredient measurement to convert from.

Y'all, I had pounds-- and I mean pounds-- of quinoa.  The sad thing is that given the sheer quantity involved, it didn't taste good.  This is where I try not to waste, but in this case, I couldn't help it.  I tried to eat it.  I really did.  Do you remember the scene from the movie, Better Off Dead?  Mom, who was a dreadful cook, had some gelatinized goo that kind of slithered off the plate on its own.  Not that the quinoa looked like that, but there was so much, it was like it was trying to have a conversation with me.  I kept it for a few days, chiseled at it a little and gave up.  :(

I was tired when I attempted this very easy recipe.  It was my fault for not reading more closely and for not reading the comments that came with.

Attack of the Cinnamon Quinoa Bake!  Yup.  All of you know this, but be warned and read the recipes carefully or you might end up with a growing vat full of something, too.

2 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Darn you Pinterst! I still don't know what I did to that chicken :( I also tried to make my own coffee creamer over the weekend. It didn't turn out so well. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I will have to investigate. I was more like "creamer and snot". Sorry to be graphic.
Most of the Pinterest finds work. But a few have been big misses.

Rach said...

Ew, Janeen! That went REALLY wrong! :oP You poor thing!

Oh, well, Amy, you gave it your best shot at trying to not be wasteful. I'm going to give the bars a go sometime soon and see what happens. So far all my quinoa recipes from the pins have been super.

BTW, there is some pin tester site out there where the woman chronicles all her Pinterest disasters. Too funny!