Thursday, January 12, 2012

Weird things that make me scratch my head.

1.  Hubs is at a conference in Columbus today.  He had to go about a half hour north to then turn around to go south.  I feel very Willy Wonka everytime he has to do this.  You have to go forward to go back, right?

2.  Inventory is done-- for me.  Regardless to how many signs we have up on the doors and sandwich boards in the parking lots, posted on the internet in a few places and have had it posted on our counters for weeks, we still have crappy acting people all ticked because we are closed.  "But I came allllll the way from - - - (which isn't that far down the road) . . . "  I hate it when people do that.  They aren't even nice about it, either.

3.  Why the math program that K-'s school district has adopted is so completely dumb.  Instead of teaching kids to add 84 + 11 in a traditional way, they decide to give them a Hundred Chart.  Don't you think that it would be more advantageous to just teach them properly from the beginning?  I have K- adding things up in a traditional way, but so that she knows how to use the Hundred Chart, I have her double check her work.  Let's face it, they won't have the stupid chart with them for the rest of forever and it is dumb to teach them how to use a crutch from the very beginning.  We're working with basic math facts here which, halfway through the second grade, the kids should know.  It is the same concept of K-'s teacher last year not allowing them to count on their fingers.  You only have so many fingers!  This math program is for the birds.  Rrrr.

4.  I wore no make-up during inventory this week, yet it seems like my face is breaking out more.  Hmmm. 

5.  Because I believe that subconsciously, I was concerned that we wouldn't wake up in time to send Hubs off for his conference, I didn't really sleep.  The last I looked at the clock was at about 3 AM, then we were up at 5:15 AM to get him moving.  Caffeine, take me away!

6.  My mom called me yesterday to see if I could take my brother to court today.  "What for?"  "His divorce."  I went on to tell my mother that my brother hasn't contacted me in a sweet forever and the only time that I hear from him is when he needs something.  "That's why he wasn't going to call you.  He owns it.  He said that exactly."  She called him and he called me back, quite thankful for the ride (he is without license until March,) and I got on him about it.  I am taking and dropping him off.  I don't believe that I need to be there to witness the profanity that will be my soon-to-be ex sister-in-law.  I pray (quite literally) that Billy will hold it together, be respectful and behave as such.  The divorce is a long-coming thing that is truly something that needs to happen for both of them.  Finalization will be a doozy, though.  Look at it this way, it isn't like they have material property to divvy up.  They have the two kids, who seem to be settled in the homes that they are in.  As for the rest of it, well, drugs are a very bad thing.  Amazing how you can lose everything with addiction.  My brother is clean and has sworn that he will never drink and drive again, but I'm not so convinced about my SIL's status.  I pray good things for her life. 

7.  I was able to pass the two Britax Regent car seat boosters on to my cousin.  She also needed to borrow my butterfly cake pans and those caused her to leave a message on my machine, "No need for pepper spray.  If anyone comes after me, I'll just beat them with a cake pan!"  They are Nordicware (butterfly pan was on clearance at Target for 5.00 and the muffin pan was a gift), and heavy as all get out.  I called later to see if she had to use the "cake pan defense system."  ;)  Seriously though, I'm thrilled that we had a good home to pass the car seat boosters down to.  Turns out that they didn't have next car seat to move I- into, so the hand-me-down seats were something that they truly needed.  They were big and K-, at the ripe age of 8, had officially aged out of them (according to Ohio law), and they were taking up enormous amounts of space in the basement.  I did warn Jenny that I didn't clean them, but we aren't about letting K- have a buffet in the back seat anyhow.  Other than a few crumbs and some miscellaneous bits in the side stretchy junk pockets, the car seats are truly fine to put directly into use.  Hooray!  I even found where I put the anchors and tethers for the one car seat (they didn't work in Hubs' Tercel), and found that I had tied the directions to the bag, too.  Double hooray!

Shuffling onward to what the day holds.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments: