Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tales from the Trenches: God provides.

My sister and I decided to do a bit of a seed swap this year.  She's a little low on funds, we're being a bit more conservative and I just re-ran the seeding bit with last year's seeds.  Mine came up, but just in a quantity that I needed.  I might have one or two extra plants, but not like the 80 tomato plants I had the one year.  Because of that and the fact that my sister was about a week and a half behind my planting, I told her to seed heavy.  She now has probably 100 little seedlings. 

"What am I going to do with all of these?" 

I told her that we'll be having a canning clinic.  I know that she wanted to learn and my one cousin approached me for lessons in canning.  It isn't hard, but it is something that you must stop, think, take time and follow every step.  Well, that and everything needs to be spic and span. 

I told my sister that God gave her a sum and I encouraged her to instead of giving all but 5 away, plant them all over.  She has flower beds that can use some height in the back.  She has a step-type hill area that they planted the tomatoes in last year.  That worked well for them.  I told her that our goal is to get her to put away as much as she possibly can. 

Their house will be eating many tomato based meals, if my prediction is correct. 

Her peppers haven't come up yet, and neither have the ground cherries.  I told her that we'll do the same with those.  Can, freeze or otherwise preserve. 

She swapped some seed potatoes in exchange.  I have them planted, but haven't seen anything yet.  Soon and very soon she tells me.

I'm entertaining a cold frame near the house for a patch of lettuces for the iguana this next year.  (Test run it on the iguana, then do fully for us.)  I don't know if I'll get Hubs to run with that one. 

In the meantime, I'm going to suggest that she sell some excess plants at the end of her drive with an honesty box (she lives in the country) and donate some to the local jail that grows produce for the Meals on Wheels program that provides meals to seniors who wouldn't otherwise be provided with balanced nutrition. 

How has God provided for you this week?  Being Holy Week, we should be a bit more in tuned with how we are always taken care of even if, as I told my sister, it wasn't the path that you originally had in your head.  Any surprises that God had pop up in your garden of life?

Smiles in my day:
-  The ability I have to openly rejoice with everyone without worry of being put to death for it.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Rach said...

Your smile for the day? A HUGE one. I think we sometimes forget just how blessed we are to have been born where we were.

You and L are going to have such FUN this summer with all that canning! Can I come?!? :o)

Bailey's Leaf said...

You know that you are always invited!