Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What will my child have learned?

I was just reading over the timeline of events in regard to the Japanese nuclear crisis and I wonder; what will K- have learned from this? 

I was 5 1/2 when Three Mile Island happened.  Other than knowing it was a bad thing, I didn't know what had happened.  I mean, at 5, how could you?

Chernobyl happened when I was 12.  I understood the gravity of the situation better, but I pulled away from that just bits and pieces of bad feeling. 

Now, ask me about the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and I can tell you where I was at and what was going on.  Is that because the news was more understandable?  I mean, it was only a few months ahead of Chernobyl, but I remember it clearly.  The disaster footage was played over and over and I could more understand the impact of that since it wasn't an abstract concept like nuclear disasters can be.

By the way, I was in the 7th grade when the Challenger disaster and Chernobyl happened.  The 7th grade was divided into "teams."  The team that I was not on (AKA 1/2 of the 7th grade) watched the shuttle take off, where the rest of us were learning other things. 

The kids watched it blow up.  I think that none of them will ever forget that. 

I pray with K- about Japan.  She knows that the earthquake happened and the resulting tsunami came in.  I haven't touched on the nuclear side of things with her.  I think that it might just be something that will worry her and keep her awake. 

How much do you share with a first grader? 

Smiles in my day:
-  Leprechaun is one of K-'s bonus spelling words and bless her heart, the kid can spell it.  Hubs said that she can now officially spell better than him.
-  Looking forward to corned beef tomorrow.  I love it, but only eat it once a year.  This year, I'll be trying my hand at making my own.  I'm kind of excited.  I've never made it before, but my sister has given me full instruction.  Yum!

Have a great day!

No comments: