I've been looking for different things to send with K- in her lunch to summer camp. I was looking to tweak with a few ideas for when school starts.
Today K- and I made granola.
Bailey's Leaf Yummy Granola
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1/4 cup oat bran
2 T crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 T honey
1 1/2 t apple pie spice
A generous handful of raisins
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
I warmed the peanut butter and honey together. I mixed it together and allowed K- to stir it in. Basically, I tossed everything in BUT! the peanut butter chips and baked it at 350 F on two cookie sheets sprayed with Pam for about 25 minutes, flipping it halfway. (You want it brown all the way around!) When completely cooled, add peanut butter chips.
Things to note:
My granola was a completely reworked and tweaked Breakfast Granola from New Vegetarian Cuisine. I used salted and roasted almonds, because it was what we had. They asked for unsalted peanuts. I also used real maple syrup because that is what we had. Imitation would be fine. I would have left out the peanut butter chips, but it was a special request by K-. They say it makes 12 servings, and when I did it before I think I did it by a 1/4 cup per serving. (It doesn't state serving size.)
NOT allergy friendly.
Smiles in my weekend:
- A trip to Amish Country. We took my mother-in-law as a thank you for watching K- all year long. It's something nice that she doesn't get to do.
- We had three days of being A/C free. Sadly, the cooling box is back on again. Gladly, we have one.
- K- having such a great time making granola. I really need to get girlie baking in the kitchen more often.
- All the butterflies! We even had a buckeye show up, which is rather rare for our neck o' the woods. Hubs has only seen one once before seeing it here.
- Our Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar is now in a chrysalis on my gerbera daisy plant. We should have a new butterfly in about a week!
- The tomato plants have gone wild!
Have a great day!