Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nice folks and explanations

After giving our house the good cleaning that it has been getting in pieces parts over the last few weeks, but not all in one day, I decided to purchase things I thought I needed to properly organize the studio. (There will be after pictures.) I knew that I had roughly 45 minutes to get the job done. Because of the time, I ran to Super Wal to grab up everything I needed.

I picked up a table for the sewing machine. I figure that I can put it on the shelf when not in use (it isn't like I'm a seamstress or anything, but I have a hand-me-down sewing machine that I would like to use a bit more often than I do.) I was able to find dowel rods and cafe hooks for organizing my ribbons. There is no way on earth that all of the ribbon that I own (thanks to a hair bow/hair bow organizer business venture that went bust) will fit up there, but along with the mounds of material that I'm soon to learn to sew with, I'd like to have the ribbons up for easy access. I found organizer boxes marked down to 3.00 from their original 9.00 each. I bought two-- one orange and one lime green. I also bought a pack of build-them-yourself organizer boxes. In a studio, you can never have too many. It was three bucks for a set of three. Why not? (They are lime green, too.) I found some little curtain rods to hang my kicky little valances up on, even though my windows still lack woodwork. (Hubs will get to it someday.) I also bought a big bookshelf. It's tall. It's also 70 pounds. So, I got it heave-hoe'd into the cart. A gentleman came up and helped me steady everything. (I told him I thought I was Wonder Woman, but I walked away wishing I hadn't lifted it.) So I cashed out, spent a whole $90.00 (I have a business account, don't worry) and trotted on to my car. Crap. How am I going to lift this thing? So, I tried flipping the cart a few different ways, then a man came running across the parking lot. "Ma'am! Hold on! I'm coming!" So sweet! He was a truck driver, giving his rig one last inspection before heading off into God-knows-what kind of weather we're going to have. He got the bookshelf lifted up and deposited into the back of my truck. Then he made sure to unload everything else. I thanked him profusely. As I was leaving, I gave him a thank you toot on the horn and a hearty wave. See, nice and helpful people are still around!

I got home with enough time to enjoy running in and quickly using my bathroom instead of the overused facility at the Wal. I was also able to unload everything BUT the giant book case. I'll leave that for Hubs.

When K- got out of school, I sent her back in for her pencil box. (I forgot to remind her this morning.) We made plans to go to have her purchase her replacement crayons this afternoon after school. Mrs. H- was kind of wondering why I was sending her back for the pencil box and I explained what happened. She asked what child was involved and I told her. I also told her that I wasn't telling her as telling on the child, K- had made a bad choice and needed to suffer the consequences. I explained that she was using her allowance to replace the broken crayons, that I was taking her to the drug store where I was certain that the crayons weren't going to be cheap and she wasn't going to get out by buying generic crayons. I also told her how K- will now know what is a good decision from a bad one. All she could do was laugh. She did say that she would re-visit the conversation with the children on how best to treat our friends. K- also told me that if Z- asked her to break up her crayons again, she'll "snap the lid shut on my pencil box and I won't let her in." It's not that Z- broke them or will break them, but I'm glad that she knows it wasn't cool. End of story for her.

Hubs has a puppet program scheduled for tomorrow evening and it looks as if K- and I will be back-up puppeteers. He's afraid that the Armageddon snow storm that they are predicting will keep the volunteers at home, but the visitors still out. If I have to shovel my way there, I will but I may qualify as a warm body. I'm not the puppeteer, but I can fake it.

This evening is the building meeting for K-'s school. We get to see what they have an idea of what to build, then it will be open to the community to provide their input on what we believe should be considered. Politely opening a can of worms in some cases, but nice to have them involve us.

I'm hungry. I've forgotten to eat anything of substance today. I hate it when I do that. My brain is fuzzy. I think that I'll prepare dinner for K- and me early so that I can keep on with the organization before I leave for the meeting.

Smiles in my day:
- The nice guy who helped me!
- Providing Mrs. H- with what she needs as extra things and having her tell me, "What am I going to do without you next year?!" So sweet!
- Getting the studio organized so that I can create some work again!
- K- wants to build another igloo in the front yard, but the other only shrunk down to a giant lump in the yard. Basically, we have a bunny hill for the sled now!
- Clean coats, even though I have to go and turn mine the right side out now.
- Spaghetti and meatballs to warm up for dinner. Yum!

Have a great night!


Rach said...

Hooray for the kindness of strangers! It makes my heart happy to read that!

Good on ya for K and the crayons. She has indeed learned her lesson, which was the entire point. Hooray!

I can't WAIT to see your studio! How FUN!!

Bailey's Leaf said...

I'm shoveling my way through the studio right now. Sadly, it had become a storage space over the years. I've been pitching a lot of stuff. Thankfully, A- is here. A lot of pitching is stuff of K-'s that landed in my studio. K- is a garbage can diver.