I don't know about you, but I sort of feel cheated. Poor Pluto. It was a really great planet for me for so many years. Apparently, it didn't measure up. So sad. Now I have to explain to K- that her School House Rocks songs aren't quite right. Yes, I realize that it was demoted a few years ago, but I'm going with a theme here.
Then there is Columbus. In 1492 he sailed the ocean blue, yes? Well, apparently some folks have hard feelings about Chris. I hear that he wasn't too great of a guy. He didn't do nice things. In fact, they are certain that he's not the first person to discover the new world. Since there were already folks here, I'm not surprised by that. I just always figured that he documented it first, thus the credit went to him. Right? So now, there are school districts that don't recognize Columbus Day, but it continues to be a bank holiday. Apparently, they aren't too chaffed by his dishonesty.
Then there is the school lunch. It is officially dead to me. My child decided that today was the day to give a school lunch a try again. I was fine with packing, but okay. Then I got a call from the school nurse. K- got sick at lunch. "She says that this happens 'all the time' and that she 'feels fine' so we are just going to change her clothes and send her back to class," was the message on the answering machine. Well, she ended up calling me on my cell, we talked about it, discussed that though she doesn't do this all the time, the doctor thinks that when she eats too fast, she does have a bit of a gag reflex, but also we don't eat the same foods that school lunches serve. That's when the nurse said, "And the pizza is the worst." So, yes, K- did go back to class and she did make it through the day. (Though I do have to tell Marlene that she was irritated at me for completely nixing school lunches. She wanted to do her AB pattern of lunch schedule that she worked out yesterday! Surprisingly, she wasn't mad about not getting her out of school.)
Smiles in my day:
- The school nurse telling me that though she knew that K- was going to be a bit upset when she found out that she was staying at school, she said that in a few minutes, it would all be well.
- Doing the hoof and haul to school this AM. Wow. It was a hair chilly. But! The neighbors met us in our driveway. They were ready before us today!
- Still burning candles to get rid of the broccoli soup smell that seems to have permeated every surface in my home. It is gradually getting better, but it is stinking cold out and I will not open the windows.
- The crabbies are happily decreasing by the day. Oh folks, I have to tell you that to say that I had the major crabbies is just putting it lightly. Yes, I apologized to Hubs and K-.
- My people decorated for Halloween tonight. Halloween is just not my kind of holiday. Apparently Hubs scored "movie quality" spider web for the outdoors, so he has now decided that he needs to stock up. Apparently there is a big difference between "movie quality" and dollar store quality. It's stringy stuff. I never knew.
- Earning free gift cards for Christmas gifts! I turned in $45.00 of cashback bonus money from our Discover to get a $50.00 gift certificate to Maggiano's for my sister-in-law and her family. I was able to cash in enough points from My Points to get a $50.00 gift certificate to Target to use towards Christmas gifts for K-. HOORAY!
- Hey, Marlene! It was good to see you today. :)