Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: The Kissing Hand

Folks, our one and only is going to Kindergarten today. My regular readers know that I'm having a bit of a hard time with this, but we're reading this before school:
(Don't click to look inside. It'll only make the picture bigger. Instead, click here.)

Mrs. Raccoon watched Chester scamper across a tree limb and enter school. And as the hoot owl rang in the new school year, she pressed her left hand to her cheek and smiled.

The warmth of Chester's kiss filled her heart with special words.

"Chester loves you," it sang. "Chester loves you."

Here's to hoping that I get my kissing hand! Have a great day!

DEAL ALERT!:
Thanks to Boo Mama for sharing her dealie do of the week. Southern Living Magazine is available for $5.00/subscription for a limited time. Click on over to Boo Mama's post for the particulars. I've ordered mine (I've never read it before!) and it is due to arrive Oct/Nov.

Smiles in my day:
- My baby starts Kindergarten. Though Kleenex will be required, I'm very happy for her.
- Brainstorming display ideas with Julia. We really work well together.
- The sore in my mouth is healing nicely. Darn those cold sores!

ARGH!:
We went to drop K- off at class, and the woman teaching is Mrs. M-. Mrs. M- informed us that Mrs. F- will be out until at least 9/11, if not longer. "Will you be taking the class over for Mrs. F-?" I asked. She said, "Well, the Board of Education doesn't tell me." Folks, she has the personality of shoe leather. My child was confused by the switch in teacher on the very first day of school. Hubs followed me to the Principal's office, who heard me and another mom, gave us papers and said that he should be able to change her class by the end of the week. I hope that there is room enough in the other classes to do so. Apparently, Mrs. F- suffers from chronic illness and was out 20% of the year last year. I hold nothing against her. I'm sorry for her illness. However, it doesn't lend continuity to class when you have 15 - 5 year olds wondering who will be sitting with them that day. Kindergarten is not child care. It is learning. To start Kindergarten off on the wrong foot with a teacher who is there only 80% of the time to me is not acceptable. We pray that this situation gets resolved by the end of the week.

5 comments:

Becca said...

I love this book! My little guy came home from his first day of preschool with a kissing hand for me...

so sweet :-)

Rach said...

Oh, the kissing hand has always been one of our favorite books.

Hang in there today and take lots and lots of pictures. :o)

HUGS!

It Feels Like Chaos said...

That is one of the sweetest books!

staci @ teaching money to kids said...

The bond that a kid gets withtheir teachers is one of the main reasons why kindergarten works. Routine Rukes at that age. You were right to switch. What were they thinkning?

Jamie said...

I definitely think it is important for the kids to have some sort of consistency. I would have done the same thing.

In my opinion, the regular kindergarten teacher should retire or switch grades if she is going to be out so much due to illness. I am sure there is another job she can do to keep working that would not entail teaching such young kids.