Thursday, October 25, 2018

Making it work and confirming that chivalry is dead.

When we went to leave work the other day, I had a coworker who's car would not start.  She looked, decided that it was because her kids had left her with a gas gauge on E and was officially out of fuel.

Our handyman was working on something and I asked if there was a gas can anywhere on the compound.  He mumbled something and went on to his thing.

With me, he is normally very helpful, but the one experiencing the fuel shortage has been in a bit of a tiff with him.  He was not at all eager to help.

With no gas can, no offer for help, K initially declined help . . . I decided to help anyhow.  I used what I had-- a windshield washer fluid container.  Handy guy says, "They won't let you pump gas into an unapproved container."  Now, I know this.  Here is the thing, the gas station is 3 blocks up.  This is our only option, so we opted to take it.

I filled my WW fluid reservoir to the top, dumped the lil bit left and went to buy a gallon of gas.  My other coworker was with me (I was going to drive her home that night) so she held the container for the 3 block drive back.

We decided that we needed a funnel.  A water bottle was used.  K had a knife that she used to trim off the bottom.

The next problem?  There is a flappy thing that closes off the gas tank.  We needed to push it open.  K suggested a stick, but we needed to make sure that it was thick enough to push and not break into the tank, but not too large to block the funnel hole for the gas.

I held the stick and the funnel, K poured the gas and all was well.  We got the car started and her on her way-- all the while the handy dude and the guy locking up stood and watched.  No, they didn't offer to help.  Chivalry.  It's dead.  Confirming that now.

In 15 minutes, we got everything handled.  We did not pause.  We worked together.  We made it happen.

Today, I get a text from K with a video.  She found out that it was not her kids being irresponsible, but a rather steady drip coming from her gas tank.  The vehicle is now in for repair.

No man, woman, child or empty gas tank left behind-- even if kindness wasn't given to us.  We would never leave them behind.  Hopefully we demonstrated kindness and working together in a way that will inspire them to pass it on.

No comments: