Monday, August 5, 2013

A Pinterest recipe that worked: Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Color me shocked.  After the poundage of quinoa incident with the breakfast thing I made, I was a little shy with Pinterest recipes.  I'll tell you the original recipe, then I'll tell you my modifications.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies 

2 large bananas
1 cup quick rolled oats
chocolate chips, coconut or some other type of mix-in

Mix ingredients and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

When Hubs read over the original recipe with me, he requested a touch of sugar.  "I think if there's absolutely no sugar, they are going to be gross."  Since I was making a treat that all of us can enjoy, I thought that I could tweak a bit here and there and see how it goes.  I have a very hard time just sticking to recipes anyhow.  Most of the time I need to alter something.  Call it the rebellious artist in me.  ;)
Amy's version of Banana Oatmeal Cookies 
2 large bananas
1 cup rolled oats/rolled wheat flakes
1/2 bag mini chocolate chips (with mini, you get better chip dispersal!)
2 T vanilla extract
2 heaping T Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter (the kind you mix, but we drain the oil off)
2 T honey
1/4 cup turbinado sugar 
Mix ingredients and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  
They were absolutely wonderful!

Yesterday was homemade garden burger and black bean nacho burger day.   I admit that my garden burger was a combo of things until it looked right.  I can't give you a recipe because I don't have one.  I can tell you that it has shredded yellow squash, mini red sweet peppers and cherry tomatoes from the garden.  There were also peas, corn, carrots and broccoli with a handful of herb garden chives, cooked lentils, shredded cheese and (because it seemed a little dry) some spaghetti sauce I had in the refrigerator.  I ground some pizza spice and sprinkled that in along with some salt and pepper.  I had my garden burger patty cold with a pasta salad at lunch today and it was great!  For $5.00 or a little less, I made 28 patties total.  I made them fresh and at $3.69 for a box of 4, I saved a lot of money.  It did take me a good amount of time to make all of the patties, but if I do it once a month or so, it isn't that big of a deal.  They were small enough to place one patty in a ziplock snack bag.  I have them individually frozen and labeled so all I need to do is to grab a pre-cooked patty and drop it in my lunch bag.  Hooray!  Next time, Hubs asked that I consider using his safe cheese so that he can eat them.

I shall take my domestic goddess apron off and scoodle to bed.  K is in pre-fall for the next two weeks and 6:30 AM comes around very quickly!

Have a great night!

1 comment:

Rach said...

Now don't those sound yummy? All of it!

I'm the same way with recipes. I know you're shocked. ;oP B's mom will ask, "What's the recipe?" and gets really annoyed when I can't give her specific amounts (she's one of those...). Ha!