Sunday, April 28, 2013

It has served me well for 27 years.

I wrote a block post about my alarm clock.  It was an original wood grain finish Sanyo alarm clock that worked perfectly well until this morning.

Hubs and I were awake.  We were talking.  On Sunday, I don't set the alarm, but it went off at 6:58 AM.  Hmm.  I never set my clock for odd times.  It is a Sheldon syndrome issue.  It is always set to an even time.

I tried to turn it off, but the only time that it would turn off was when I set the switch to "alarm."  I came to the conclusion that I had to get a new clock.  Hubs, knowing the love that I have for good ole reliable said, "You are really getting a new clock?"  "This one can go to the studio.  I can shut the sound down so that when the alarm does go off, it won't be a problem.  I'm not completely getting rid of it, but I don't think that I can count on it to be used as an alarm any longer."

Credit to Hubs- He offered to try to take it apart and fix it.  He's very good with that sort of thing.  Talented actually.  I needed a clock.  Today.  We'll stick with the odd alarm issue, use it as just a clock and all will be okay.

Such sadness.  It is an ugly clock, but it has served me well for so many years.  I mean, how can you argue with 27 years of service?  They just don't build things like that any longer.

I went to the store and replaced my clock.  To replace it ended up costing me the same as what my mom paid when she purchased my alarm clock from Revco.  She paid $20.00.  I paid $20.50.

It has a huge display.  I think that the seniors two blocks away will see it.  More radio stations come in. It has a brightness control.  (The last one didn't and was red LED.)  It has two alarm settings.  The last one only had one.

A new alarm clock isn't that big of a deal to most people.  I had it from the time I was 12.  It took me through middle school, high school, 7 years of college and 16 years of marriage.  Not a life span!

2 comments:

Rach said...

I do feel for you. I'm so sorry. You ought to let Hubs have a go at fixing it--"just because" at this point.

The new clock is super duper fancy, that's for sure! I'm glad you have it and I hope it brings you many years of happiness. :o)

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Hubs has this little mauve pink one that someone gave him in college. It's almost 30 years old. If it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Hope your new one lasts many years for ya!