Friday, March 1, 2013

Observations on Pinterest.

I have a love for Pinterest.  I'm still rather green, so it's' new and still very shiny.  I have noticed some things though.  Here's my list:

1.  I can't tell you how many things are termed as "life changing."  Life changing would be something that would do my laundry, check my kid's homework, cook the dinner, clean the house and so far, I haven't found anything that does that yet.  Each one of us have a different view of "life changing."
2.  There are a lot of tattooed people who like to photograph themselves and post their photos.  There are a lot of tattooed feet in the world.  I thought that was the worst place to tattoo because it wears off quick.  No bother.  I won't get one anyhow.
3.  There are a lot of pregnant women who like to share their pregnancy photos.
4.  There are tons of wedding dresses.
5.  And finger nails.
6.  And food with the words describing them including "sex" and "crack."
7.  Speaking of "crack," I see a lot of butts.  People apparently think having a work out photo of someone else's butt gives them motivation.  For me, I like the fully clothed folk.  I mean, there have been times I've run across photos and thought, "Really, is that gym legal attire?"  Some of it borders appropriateness to post.  And just for the record, I'm not looking for these photos.  They are listed in the "popular" category.  Hmm.  Shall I wonder why?
8.  People sometimes write recipes and directions in a way that makes sense to them, but not necessarily to the mass public.  I ended up with multiple pounds of quinoa as a result once.
9.  Pinterest folks seem to be a generally nice, happy-to-share kind of folk.  Sometimes, people can still run the judgmental express.  There was a lady with her son and some pink zebra shoes that he really wanted and wore to preschool.  The things that were said.  My oh my.  I think that we forgot the manners that were taught back in Kindergarten.  (That's where we learned all of the basics of life, right?)  We remember the rule of, if you don't have anything nice to say then . . .
10.  Some people don't exactly know how to link things.  People will give you a link to a website, but you have to slog through tons to get to the one thing that you clicked the photo of.  Generally, I don't waste the time and ditch on it.
11.  Sometimes, I think that people didn't actually succeed as well as they claim with the recipes.  I mean, some of those photos look like nothing I baked.  (Or Janeen, either!)

However:
1.  I have found delightful recipes.  Just tonight, I found a recipe for a chocolate chip pretzel cookie.  (The name is something like that.)  Delightful!
2.  I found out that the name of the doll that I loved most as a child is Dancerella!  I still have her and she is posted on my 80's board.
3.  I've found all sorts of divine hairstyles to try on my child.  I don't know how her hair will behave (flat, thick and will do nothing but hang straight), but I'm willing to try.
4.  I have great gardening tips.  I've been looking for a way to trellis my beans and I've found several examples.
5.  I have great tips on all sorts of miscellaneous everything.  Cleaning supplies to Chobani substitutes for fatty things.
6.  I've found great tips and links to help me teach K math, science and all sorts of things now and through the summer.
7.  K is now excited about Pinterest.  "PIN IT, MOM!"  She's turning into an addict!
8.  There are some really smart people out there!  They are modern day McGyvers that can make a gift out of a square of newsprint, some twist ties and a couple of buttons.  It's the kind of stuff that people are willing to buy and they say, "Do you know how cheap this is?"
9.  I am happily learning lessons from people on a variety of ways to save and to reuse.  That's all good!
10.  It has inspired me to cook more.
11.  Even my mother-in-law e-mailed and asked a question.  "Check out my page!"  She did and whatever didn't work for her worked fine on my page.  :)

What are your thoughts on Pinterest?

2 comments:

Rach said...

The pins are fun and addictive, that's for sure! You are you are almost guaranteed to find someone with similar interests (my ROY G BIV board, for example--you wouldn't believe how many people are rainbow junkies!).

Yes, there are dead links and they're really annoying. I also get frustrated with people who only pin pictures--as in they clicked to embiggen and pinned the photo but it doesn't lead back to the article. GR.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I'm with Rach on the pinning of only pictures. Grrr...

I've tried a few other things from Pinterest recently and they actually worked. I finally made a wreath that I pinned from Rach last year. I bought the stuff last year but never finished. The supplies were so expensive that I was bound and determined to make it. I'll have to post a picture on my blog. It's close, but not exact.