Friday, August 24, 2012

Recipe alert! Mom made me my favorite childhood cake.



After posting a recipe in my grandmother's handwriting, I have a true appreciation for seeing a recipe in original writing.  Yes, I did add NO EGGS and the bit about applesauce.  I do recall calling Mom to say, "Um, applesauce squares have applesauce, right?"  "Yes, of course."  "You forgot to add it."  Oops. 

Things to remember.  Mom uses margarine.  She also uses real vanilla and made today's batch with apple pie spice instead.  She seems to like that substitute better than the original called for pumpkin pie spice.  Oh, and with mine, she left out the offending nuts and raisins.  Just FYI.
 Because of schedules flying in 12,000 directions this year, we were unable to do family birthday cake for my sister and me this year.  Mom decided that she wanted to take us each out to breakfast.  I'm kind of a low level girl (so is my sister) and told Mom to just make me breakfast at her house.  She made me French toast (a favorite) and brought my cake out of the freezer.  She made me applesauce squares.  :)

We were poor kids, but I remember applesauce squares a fair amount.  My mom is still an avid user of margarine and shortening, so I know her recipe to be using at least one or both.  They are delightful.  They are delicious.  I have a take home box awaiting my nibbles.  Pardon me as I go indulge in the calling of the box.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rach said...

I was chuckling at your additions because I have recipes from my Grammy with additions I had to add. It makes me smile. :o)

I think I may have to make these--they sound divine and not too cloying.

Bailey's Leaf said...

Oh, and mom used homemade applesauce in mine this year. They were thicker than I remember as a child. They were fluffier and more cake-like. They were delicious!

Sue said...

The applesauce bars sound great. What size pan should I use? Thanks.

Sue

Bailey's Leaf said...

Sue,

A standard cake pan is what you need. Maybe 9 1/2 x 11?

:)

Amy

Bailey's Leaf said...

Sue,

I'm wrong. It is 9 x 13. Sorry. You probably figured that out, though. K- will be taking one in her lunch tomorrow. :)

Amy