Monday, July 2, 2012

We finally bought cherries.

Neither one of us could do it.  Cherries remind us too much of Aunt Donna and we've been having a bit of a rough time.  K- and I had a long talk.  We talked about how much we missed quirky Aunt Donna and now was the time for us to bite the bullet and buy cherries.

The child is in heaven.

Cherries will always be a huge reminder of Aunt Donna for both of us, be it the phone calls of readiness, or spotting K- and Aunt D as they spit cherry seeds over the 7th floor balcony of her apartment. 

The woman was an odd bird.  She made her knowledge (or perceived knowledge) of all things known and if she announced that she knew something, she was under the impression that she was THE authority.  Still, if you were sick, hurt, injured or in need in any way, Aunt Donna came to the rescue.  She was a disabled, sight impaired woman who truly lived on a fixed income, but somehow, she'd make it all work.  She would drop off bags on my doorstep of a variety of fruits and vegetables.  She'd scooter over with a freezer bag to drop off popscicles.  She managed to buy my sister two vans, since one she flipped, rolled and destroyed.  She would picnic in the party room with us and a cheap Little Caesar's pizza. 

How she delighted in spending time with our kids. 

Truly, she is very missed.  For now, though, we have cherries in the fridge.  Apparently, they are good.  (I don't like cherries.)  Aunt Donna would be proud.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Aunt Donna sounds like a wonderful lady. I bet she'd get a kick out of the fact that cherries remind you all of her. Now I even think of Aunt Donna when I see cherries and I didn't even know her :) I bought some for J (I don't like them either) at Ma*c's last week and I thought of Aunt Donna when I picked them up.