Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy 1000! Like, can you believe it? Like, I can't either!

Considering the fact that this is officially my 1000th post, I reconsidered my post subject, but opted to continue on with it.

I do not claim to practice the fine art of speaking or writing English in any perfect way. I do try, though. A text conversation that Rachael and I were having yesterday has brought us both to a possible frightening realization - we think that Valley Girl speak has returned.

Yesterday, there were a few times when I was assaulted with the overuse of "like." One young lady managed to sandwich it between very few words three separate times. On a different occasion, girls who were excessively giggly and appeared to have not left their high school days despite checking their ID's with credit card purchase and noticing that they were 28 and 30, bantered overuse of "like" back and forth like a volleyball in a game. It was so bad that I had to seriously hold myself back from saying, "Um, like, your total is like $12.51." :insert bobble of head here: I don't know that they would have been disturbed by my useage.

That is what frightens me.

K's 2nd grade teacher may have been a stickler for spelling in a way that somewhat drove me crazy, but she did harp on one thing that I absolutely agreed with. She taught them to use, "More colorful language." The word "cute" to describe something didn't cut it with her.

I think that is fabulous.

I've gotten on K a bit more in regard to her writing. I have continued keeping up with correcting misspellings and certainly will make certain that she doesn't fall into the land of "like." It makes an otherwise intelligent human sound beyond unschooled.

Have you noticed any language weirdness? Don't worry, if you've seen it here, feel free to call me on it.

Reflections on a day of 1000ness:

I have prattled on about happy things, sadness, need for prayer, incidents of my daughter's reflux (eww!), and generally journaled about all sorts of miscellaneous bits of life and yet, y'all continue to come back. Thanks for that!

3 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

UGH. I used "valley speak"... in Jr. high. Who does that at 30? I blame "texting" for all the poor language choices. Have you ever tried to read anything from an avid texter? Spelling and Grammar have left the building. I give up and either quit reading or send it straight to the online circular file.

Rach said...

I was reading something on an online forum the other day and the poster said, "I'm a teen and I know my spelling and grammar suck and I don't care." Wha...? :sigh: The grammar n*azi in me cringes. :o(

Rach said...

P.S. Happy 1000th post!