Thursday, May 3, 2012

What the cable company accidentally giveth, they taketh away.

While taking a walk to the garden, I found a note hanging from my door.  It stated that the cable company had been through the neighborhood doing an audit of services.  It was found that we were receiving "unauthorized service" and we needed to phone them within 24 hours, so as not to be charged.

Really?

8 months ago, I was in the studio working on something and accidentally found that we had the Weather Channel.  I cruised on through and found that there were channels up to 70.  None of these channels were premium movie channels.  We checked, the service hadn't been changed and the charges were the same. 

When I sat down to eat a bowl of cereal for dinner (it's been a long week, y'all), I noticed that all of the cable channels except for VH1 Classics were gone.  G.O.N.E. gone.  That was prior to the finding of the note.  (Which had been mingling with the parsley.)  Drat that note.

I phoned the cable provider.  The lady was bubbly and nice.  That was good.  "Ma'am, I want you to know that you did nothing wrong."  "I know that I didn't do anything wrong.  We scanned the TV, found extra channels, knew that we weren't getting charged, but also knew that we weren't getting stations like HBO or anything like that.  I didn't scale the pole!"  She said that there would be no charge, but wanted to know how I wanted to change my cable service (meaning, not low-as-you-go cable.)  "I'm good right where I'm at."  Apparently there was "leakage in the line" giving people in my neighborhood cable that they shouldn't have been getting.  Drat at it being fixed, though.

So, what the cable company giveth, they taketh away.  It's okay.  It was nice to have it, but I'm not willing to pay more for more channels that don't necessarily have more programming on them anyhow.  It's summertime.  I need to be out.  It will unlatch my child from the box.  I had a summertime plan in place for that anyhow, but the lack of big boy channels doesn't hurt.

1 comment:

Rach said...

Well poop.

That's all.

:o)