Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tales from the Trenches: I felt a little bit Catholic at the doctor today.

I went to the doctor today for a follow-up to the lovely quick clinic visit I had.  Dr. W- came in and did his, "Hey!  What's going on today?"  I felt like I was at confession.

"Dr. W-, I was so sick.  I've been sick since last Tuesday.  I ran a fever from Tuesday evening through Sunday night.  I was so desperate on Saturday that I went to a quick clinic at the grocery." 

"Oh, that's okay."

"You don't understand.  I feel like I cheated.  Besides, my husband said that he was rather certain that you would laugh at the story that I need to tell you."

I proceeded to tell him about the very nice, but very uncertain doctor that I visited.  I told him about going from mystery illness to mono to sinus infection, then onto upper respiratory infection.  I added the ums and hmmms in there.  He was very kind to tell me the difference with just swollen glands and mono swollen glands.  He talked to me about what I had, was slightly impressed by the high number I rolled and to which he added, "It made you feel like you had a bus run over you, right?  You just couldn't get enough blankets on you, huh?" "Obviously, I did."  "But no matter what you did, you were still freezing." Amen to that my brother.

Apparently, there is a viral upper respiratory bit that is running about and that is what I cashed in on. 

So, I love my doctor.  Love him.  He sent me off with a pat on the back and chuckle and this parting line, "Did you at least get Fuel Perks with that?" 

I think he was still laughing when I walked out.

Smiles in my day:
-  PRAISE JESUS!  I finally feel human.  I'm also now starved from having not really eaten anything from Thurs - Sun. 
-  K- had science camp today and loved it.  They worked on simple machines.

Please pray that my husband and child don't fall victim to the wretchedness that knocked me flat for 3 1/2 days. 

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Rach said...

Hee hee. I'm glad you were "forgiven". That still makes me laugh, although, not as much as his "fuel perks" comment. Ha!

Good doctors are so hard to come by--you are blessed. :o)

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Glad you are feeling better! Your doctor sounds like a keeper. I took the kids to a "minute clinic" once on a Sunday when they were very ill. The Pediatrician was less than thrilled but she took it in stride. She did however change all the medication that the clinic had given and said that she doesn't trust them with children. I received no fuel perks from that visit...