Monday, September 6, 2010

I am so tired, but I'm going to do a quick post before my husband comes back from his 12th trip to the hardware.

Home improvement.  Well, in our case, it is home wrecking then improvement. 

My living room consists of an unplugged TV that we had to have the neighbor come help move because I kid you absolutely not, it is 200 pounds. 

I have 28 boxes of Berkshire Cherry Pergo flooring and the multiple other things that you need to go with that like an $18.00 dead blow hammer.  You can't use a rubber mallet, nosiree, you have to use the $18.00 dead blow hammer. 

I have an installation kit that took us three stores to find and funny enough, it doesn't include everything you need to install Pergo.

I have my couch, Poppy's table, the 1897 trunk that my Christmas ornaments live in, a stack of slate tile, a 3' x 5' sheet of cement board to put the slate on.  Oh, and all the goo to go with that.

I have my refrigerator, microwave and oven.  Convenient for TV dinners, yes?

So, in 1/2 of my house, we are down to subfloor.  We wear shoes all the time, which is fine.  Happy news is that I have the cabinets (not the doors or drawers) painted and done.  Sadly, even burnishing the delicate surface blue painters tape removed paint from my wall and it also bled underneath.  I'll do dances with touch-up later. 

If we can just get this Pergo down in the kitchen tonight, we will both be very happy.  Believe me, at this point, our nerves need to see some floor on the floor.

We gave up the ship at 10 PM.  My in-law's were kind enough to come scoop up K- and take her for the day.  They returned her at about 6:30 PM bathed, fed and tired.  At that point, we had just started laying the floor.  We hadn't gotten the hang of the flipping, sliding and fitting pieces together.  After they left, we became a little more proficient, but had all kinds of tricky cuts to deal with.  (Door jamb, heat vent, cabinets.)  We got about 1/5 of the floor laid and both of us were so tired that we literally were not seeing straight.  We were also out of light, the table saw was in the driveway (we're classy that way) and we wouldn't use the saw past 10 PM because regardless to how loud the Metallica and Alice in Chains was playing earlier, we do realize that folks and kids have to sleep. 

Speaking of, I need to do a bit of that myself.  Excuse me while I'm non-existent on the blog this week.  If something earth shattering happens, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, we'll be reaching for the milk while sitting on the couch. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  A bath also helped my mood a bit.  And that we got some flooring down.  And that my husband was totally kissing my butt because I was the one laying the Pergo and he was my cutting guy.  You know, he's really going to miss me tomorrow. We were working great at that teamwork thing.  :)


Rach said...

Oh my. Oh my oh my. Hang in there, Amy! Home improvement is TOUGH.

I can't wait to see it when it's all done, though! :o)

Jamie said...

This could very well have been the story of my life the last 8 months. I know how you feel. But it does eventually come together, even if it takes more time than you thought. Keep your chin up and remember that it will be very worth it in the end. And if you're anything like me, you won't remember every bit of frustration that you feel now, in a couple of months.

ChupieandJ'smama said...

I don't envy you this job. My dad and brother did our dining room and it was not fun. It's worth it in the end. Hang in there!!