Thursday, March 25, 2010

Our Sunday Amish Apple Dessert

My in-law's gave us 1/2 bag of apples that they bought. They are really rather delicious and after putting the finishing touches on our dinner, I decided that a dessert wouldn't be that bad of a thing. I looked through recipe box and found a recipe I barely recognized. Where did I get it? Oh yes! Hubs picked it up for me at the bulk food store in Walnut Creek. They have a test kitchen, where they have crock pots of wonderfulness out for the customers to try. They leave recipes for you to take so that you will hopefully buy the ingredients and make it at home for your family. I've done another one before for cheesy potatoes. Hubs' co-workers loved it.

I know, I know. Just cut to the chase. Here goes:

Apple Goodie
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1 T flour
1/8 t salt
2 cups sliced apples
*a decent squirt of vanilla extract

Topping
1/2 cup oatmeal (I used rolled oats from the bulk food store)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/8 t baking soda
1/8 t baking powder

From top half of recipe, mix together sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. (Not called for in the original recipe, but I just had to.) Mix well and place in the bottom of a greased casserole. To make topping: combine dry ingredients and cut in butter to make crumbs. Put crumbs on top of apple mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve hot or cold with milk. (We didn't use milk, but that would have been good, too.)

Smiles in my Sunday evening:
- Sunday dessert.
- We were able to order Hubs some new garden equipment. As requested, I ordered him the Worx GT edger/trimmer (with an extra battery). We also ordered him a new Lawn boy lawnmower from the Home Depot. They had free shipping and he said, "I thought you might be able to purchase it on My Points." So sweet. He knows my love language. ;) Yes, I could purchase both items through My Points and now I'm sitting with about 15,000 points banked toward Christmas 2010 for him and K-.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Oo, apple crisp/crumble. I think Lil and I may be making that this weekend. YUMMERS! :o)

Bailey's Leaf said...

I've made it twice this week. I just made a pan of it and sent it off to my sister's house. She doesn't need to know that I was sneaking gooey crumbs from the sides . . .