Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tales from the Trenches: The love and hate of winter

I should start this by saying that I love each and every season for the wonderfulness that each bring to our little plot of earth. Each season, however, brings good and bad things. Here is my list of love and hate for winter. It probably isn't an exhaustive list, but it's a good chunk.

Love:
The glistening snow. It looks like a glitter shaker has spilled on the ground.

Hate:
Car stalactites.

Love:
Warm sweaters.

Hate:
Parking lot sludge that stains the back of your pants.

Love:
Snow falling.

Hate:
Me falling.

Love:
Snow by the half foot at a time.

Hate:
Stale house air. Unless we want to nearly freeze to death, the windows stay closed.

Love:
Candles burning.

Hate:
Frozen windshield wipers. My wipers were frozen into solid blocks of ice (both front and back wipers). Kind of defeats the purpose when all you are doing is swipping big icicles across your windows.

Love:
To see my child rolling around in the snow, throwing it up in the air and playing out on the sidewalk with the sled.

Hate:
Pushing a cart through the snow.

Love:
Snowshoe-ing.

Hate:
Running out of windshield washer fluid in the midst of a storm. Don't worry, I have a gallon and a half in my car to make certain that doesn't happen.

Love:
Comfort foods that come along with the snow.

Hate:
That my waistline is expanding because of the comfort foods along with the snow and the not being able to walk K- to school because sidewalks aren't cleared because if they are cleared and someone falls, that is considered negligence on the part of the homeowner. But! If someone falls on an unclean sidewalk, that is an act of God. Go figure. (Sorry about the big run-on sentence.)

Love:
Slippers.

Hate:
Walking in stocking feet through snow puddles that escape from the entry rug. (Not that my stocking feet escaped from the rug, but that the wetness did!)

So what about you?

Smiles in my day:
- Though I hate inventory (I don't use the word hate, but today it appears several times, so why not keep with the theme, eh?), I was assigned to the toy room as opposed to the extremely cold upstairs that is not heated. Y'all, it was 17 F this AM, so I can only imagine that it was probably hovering around 30 F all day up there. (It is where we keep backstock.)
- Starting a new-to-me book and really getting into it. That really doesn't happen for me and while it is out as a movie now, I'm perfectly content to read it first. (My Sister's Keeper.) I admit that I read The Devil Wears Prada, then bought the movie at the Wal on Black Friday for the bargain price of $2.00. Sadly, the movie and the book varied wildly. They missed so much in the movie!
- Antiques Roadshow, which is on right now as I type. A $12.00 auction doll appraised at $3000.?! Wow! A 1985 Andrew Wyeth watercolor painting, framed by the artist and originally purchased for $75,000 appraised at $450,000.00?! EEEEEE! (The $75,000.00 alone blew me away. I can admit that Hubs and I don't make even close to that in a year!) What a cool thing to have hang on your wall. And no, I don't say that because of the worth, I really did like it!

:still shaking my head:

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Rach said...

You know, typically those things on the Roadshow that appraise for exorbitant amounts are UGLY. I agree, though, the Wyeth painting was beautiful. :o) I LOVE the Roadshow! :o)

Living here I forget all the nasty things about winter and the snow and ice that linger and linger (and malinger?!? ;oP). Thanks for the reminders. :o) Oh, and look out for those melted snow puddles--they get me EVERY time and goodness knows there's nothing ickier than wet socks. Blah.

Tipi Homesteaders said...

Love - the crisp clean air after a snowfall.

Hate - waking up when it's only 14 degrees inside the Tipi ;)

Bailey's Leaf said...

Tipi Homesteaders,

You win.

:)