Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tales from the Trenches

Today's tale is one from the other side of the counter. On Saturday evening I ran into Marc's, one of our local discounter shopping places, and picked up the few holiday necessary items we needed. I was literally two steps from being in line (it could have been classified as in line) and an older lady who was not at all in line and was talking with friends scowled at me, stepped in front of me and made it known that she had decided that she was next. As if that wasn't disturbing enough, her friend decided to slow motion run me over with her cart to continue to claim the place in line that I was nearly in. I said nothing. I decided to move down to another line. I didn't want to continue to be scowled at.

I chose another line. One lady was nearly finished cashing out. The next woman in line, just ahead of me of me, had a cart load. I had a few things in my hands. I didn't even have a basket. Now if it were me, I would have let the customer with the few things in their hands go ahead of me. My sister and I did that on Black Friday and it seemed only fair. Um, no. She saw what 6 tiny items I had and ignored me. Granted, I wasn't mad at her by any stretch. I was behind her and it wasn't like she ran me over or anything. I just let people in that situation go ahead of me all the time. I was hoping for the same unwritten courtesy.

Marc's often has great prices, but much patience is needed in cashing out. They hand key everything (though now I think that they are just beginning to scan) and they will only have two cash out's open when 15 are there. You can never just run in and out. If you are lucky enough to find what you need, you get stumped at the cash out every time.

No comments: